Building Name

Good Shepherd Entwistle Road Rochdale

Date
1900 - 1913
Street
Entwistle Road
District/Town
Rochdale
County/Country
GMCA, England
Work
New build

A NEW CHURCH 4T ROCHDALE - The Church of the Good Shepherd, Rochdale, was to have been opened yesterday by the Bishop of Manchester. Owing, however, to the hindrance to the work caused by the recent bad weather, it is not yet quite in a condition which admits of its being used, and the opening has been postponed till January 31. The new parish of the Good Shepherd is on the east side of the borough, in a growing working-class district. It is carved out of the parishes of St James and All Saints, Hamer, and St. Peter Newbold, and contains a population of. About 4,000. Services have for number of years been conducted in a mission-room, near which the church has been built. In 1900 the present vicar, the Rev. J. R. Leeming, took charge of the district, which became a separate parish in January, 1902. The foundation-stone of the church was laid by Colonel Royds. M.P., on April 16, 1903. The general style of architecture adopted is 13th century Gothic. The exterior of the church is of Yorkshire stone. with windows and dressings of a stone of a different colour quarried in Somersetshire. The length of the nave is 60 feet and the width 48 feet. There is a temporary chancel 12 feet long by 22 feet wide and the height of the nave and aisles is 37 feet. A triple arcade separates the nave from the aisles, the clerestory above being 30 feet from the floor. The floor is formed of wood blocks arranged in patterns. At the west, end is a large seven-light window, and this, together with the other windows of the church are filled with painted and bordered cathedral glass. The church will accommodate 450 worshippers.  The design was prepared by Mr. E. H. Lingen Barker, of Hereford and London. [Manchester Guardian 7 January 1905: page 5]