- Born : 26 February 1838
- Died : Tuesday 13 February 1894 at Rosslyn House, Wilbraham Road, Chorlton-cum-Hardy
- Burial : Southern Cemetery Chorlton
John Allison was born at Pathhead, near Dalkeith, on the 26th of February, 1838. At eighteen he was articled for five years to an architect and surveyor, Mr. Thomas Jeffrey of Leith Walk, Edinburgh. On the expiration of his pupilage he was for twelve months an assistant in the engineer’s office of the North British Railway Company. From 1861 to 1867 he was engaged - first for Mr. R. Wilson of Dalkeith and subsequently for Mr. James Young of Sunderland - on the construction of various works, including graving-docks, hospitals and railways.
In 1867 he was appointed Town Surveyor of Jarrow-on-Tyne, which post he held for seven years. During that time he carried out extensive sewerage and paving works consequent on the rapid growth and extension of the town. In addition to his municipal duties he was allowed to practise on his own account as an engineer and surveyor. From 1874 to 1879 Mr. Allison was Borough Engineer and Surveyor of Bradford, for which he constructed important main and branch sewers for several districts in extension of the previous system and carried out various street improvements and other works costing £451,000. He had the general supervision of all works under the corporation, with the exception of those in connection with the gas and water departments.
In 1879 he was appointd the Manchester city surveyor at a salary of £1,000 a year and was identified with many important works of improvement. Fifty miles of tramways have been laid during his term of office, and, consequent upon the extension of the city boundaries, open spaces, baths and free libraries have been provided. The most important undertaking with which he has had to do were the designing and execution of the main sewer and the scheme for sewage disposal at Davyhulme - works costing £500, 000.
John Allison died at his residence, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, on the 13th of February, 1894, from heart disease, accelerated by acute pneumonia. He had been in ill-health for a considerable time and, in spite of a visit to the South Coast, his strength gradually declined. H survived by five children. The funeral took place at the Southern Cemetery on 16 February 1894
He was elected an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers on the 1st of February, 1876, was placed among the Associate Members in 1878, and was transferred to the class of Member on the 6th of March, 1888.
1883 20 Woodlands Road. Cheetham Hill
1886 not given
Reference Building News 31 January 1879 page 138
Reference British Architect 16 February 1894 Page 111
Reference Manchester City News Saturday 17 February 1894 Page 3 Column 6-7
Buildings and Designs
|Former Free Library & Market Building Campfield||Campfield||Manchester||GMCA||England|
|Osborne Street Baths||Manchester||GMCA||England|
|Leaf Street Swimming Baths for Women||Hulme||Manchester||GMCA||England|
|Manchester Museum and Art Gallery Queens Park||Harpurhey||Manchester||GMCA||England|