John Dent Harker
- Birth date: 12 Sept 1860 Cheetham, Manchester
- Death date: 26 April 1933 at Edmonton
The son of Thomas Harker Esq JP, Director of Rylands and Sons Ltd John Dent Harker was born in Manchester, on 12 September 1860. He was educated at Manchester Grammar School and Owens College before serving articles under Henry Littler (senior) of Manchester from June 1877 to January 1881, and whilst in his employ was connected with the erection of many buildings for the county of Lancashire. He was next in the office of Alfred Hugh Davies Colley and John Brooke from August 1881 before subsequently moving to London where he acted as assistant to Edward Robson FSA, architect to the School Board while attending University College. In 1881 he was admitted an Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects, by examination, proposed by J T Knowles, E Christian and G E Street. In 1884 John Dent Harker returned north and commenced practice in Manchester. He had the distinction of the appointment of architect to the Manchester Assize Courts Committee, a position he still holds. He opened a branch office in Blackpool in 1891, and shortly after chose to reside at St. Anne’s.
In addition to schools, dwellings, and churches in Lancashire, Cheshire, and Derbyshire, monuments of his design are to be seen in this district in the Pavilion of the Victoria Pier, Blackpool; the Hipodrome (formerly Empire Music Hall), Blackpool; the Public Hall, St. Anne’s; and the new Pier entrance and offices at St. Annes.
In 1887 he married Margaret, the daughter of Peter McLaine, of Manchester; and there were one son and four daughters of the marriage.
1900-1901 Chairman St Anne’s Urban District Council.
1886 : John Dent Harker Scottish Provincial Buildings 9 Albert Square, Manchester (Slater)
1895-1909 : John Dent Harker ARIBA FMSA Prudential Buildings 78 King Street Manchester (Slater)
1911 : John Dent Harker ARIBA FMSA 42 Wood Street St Anne's-on-Sea (Slater MSA list)
1913 : J D Harker, 12 Birley Street Blackpool (Slater)
1914-1929 : Assize Courts Manchester
1881 : Brook House. Wilmslow Road East Withington, Manchester (Census)
1891 : Prestwich
1895 : St Anne's-on-Sea
1901-1908 : J. D. Harker, architect, 16 St. George's Road St Anne’s-on the Sea
1911 : Chorlton – census
1933 : 32a Avenue Road Crouch End