- Born 1867*
- Died 1944 at Lytham
* The date of 1857 given in Dictionary of British Architects appears to be erroneous
Walter Williamson was articled to William Ball of Manchester in 1882, and remained as assistant until 1893. Attended Manchester Municipal School of Art. Assistant to N Hartley Hacking 1893-95, chief architectural assistant in Salford Corporation Architects' Department 1895-1900, and as chief assistant in Bradford Corporation Architects' Department from 1900. In 1910 he was appointed Chief Architect Bradford. His role as Chief Architect was stated as ‘designing and supervising the erection of all classes of buildings which come under the control of a large municipal authority, and in the multitudinous duties to be performed in a city’s architect department, which (in addition to strictly municipal buildings) includes the erection and charge of all buildings under the City Council as education authority’. [Official & Personal’, The Municipal Journal, XIX (14 October 1910): 815.]
In 1931 Walter Williamson resigned his post as Bradford City architect owing to ill-health and died at Lytham in 1944.
1881-1891 Hilton Street Moss Side, Manchester
1901 Lilycroft Road, Bradford
1910 55 Duckworth Grove, Bradford, West Yorkshire,