William Ernest Gill
- Born July-Sept 1874 at Farnworth
- Married 1903 Bertha Elsie Rimmer at Southport
- Died 5 December 1942 at Southport
William Ernest Gill was born in 1874 at Farnworth, the son of Henry Gill, a contractor’s clerk and his wife May Ann. The family moved to Southport in 1876. In 1891 he was an articled pupil 1891.
Following Charles Openshaw’s death in 1899 his practice in Bury was continued by his brother Cecil Howard Openshaw and William Ernest Gill from the same address under the name of Openshaw and Gill until 29 May 1903 after which Gill practiced under his own name. He was elected LRIBA in 1911. By 1919 he had given up the office at Derby Chambers and henceforth is recorded under his home address. Known commissions cease in 1910.
William Ernest Gill removed to Southport about 1930 and died there on 5 December 1942.
1901 Openshaw and Gill 6 Fleet Street Bury
1903 William E Gill Derby Chambers 6 Fleet Street Bury
1913 William E Gill Derby Chambers 6 Fleet Street Bury
1881 32 Hart Street, Southport
1919-1929 “Burnbrae” 2 Solness Road Bury
1933-1942 4 Montrose Drive Southport
Reference The London Gazette, 19 June 1903 page 3876 - dissolution of partnership
Buildings and Designs
|Offices Green Lane Brewery Green Lane Bury||Bury||GMCA||England|
|Alterations Advertiser Offices Heywood||Heywood||GMCA||England|
|Children's Holiday Home. Birtle Edge||Birtle||Bury||GMCA||England|
|Wesleyan Church and School, Rochdale Old Road, Jericho, Bury||Jericho||Bury||GMCA||England|
|Openshaw and Gill||Architectural practice||1900||1903||Bury|