William Godfrey Newton
William Godfrey Newton was born in 1885, the youngest of three sons of the architect Ernest Newton. He was educated at Marlborough College, Oriel College, Oxford, and the Royal College of Art. He joined his father’s practice, and in 1921 they became joint editors of The Architectural Review. After Ernest’s death in 1922, William continued as sole editor until 1927. From 1928 to 1933 he was Professor of Architecture at the Royal College of Art, succeeding his friend Hubert Worthington. In 1925, he married the daughter of the Rev Reginald Broughton, rector of St Peter’s Prestbury. He lived in Wiltshire, close to his old school, Marlborough College, for which he designed many of the buildings. He died in 1949.