Acme Mill, Pendlebury
The country’s first all-electric powered cotton spinning mill, built by Robert Knowles. Construction commenced in 1905 and was completed in less than nine months. Around 500 people were employed and at its peak more than 117,000 ring spindles were producing yarn. Production ceased in 1959 and the building was demolished in 1984. Power was taken from the Lancashire Electric Power Company power station at Kearsley.