Albion Congregational Chapel (1), Albion Street, Ashton-under-Lyne
Albion Congregational Chapel (1), was built to the designs of Lowe and Bake in 1834-1835, replacing the earlier (Refuge) chapel of 1816.
FOUNDATION STONE - The ceremony of laying the foundation-stone was performed, amidst a large concourse of people, on Friday, 23 May 1834. The following, written on parchment, and placed in a leaden box, was deposited in the foundation-stone: “Consecrated to the Worship of God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. — This chapel was erected for the accommodation of the church and congregation of Protestant Dissenters of the Independent or Congregational Order at Ashton-under-Lyne, in the County of Lancaster, having been preceded by a chapel of smaller dimensions on an adjoining plot of ground, which was erected A.D. 1816, and enlarged A.D. 1827.” The first stone of this new edifice was laid by Nathaniel Buckley, Esq, senior deacon of the church. Among those present at the ceremony were Messrs Lowe and bake, architects. [History of Ashton-under-Lyne and the Surrounding District,” page 254-257]
ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE - On Sunday, May 10, the new Independent Chapel. Albion-street, Ashton-under-Lyne, was opened for divine worship; on which occasion sermons were preached in the morning and evening by the Rev Thomas Raffles L.L.D. etc., of Liverpool, and in the afternoon by the Rev. J. Sutcliffe. minister of the place. …… We understand that this elegant and spacious chapel, measuring 78 feet by 60 feet has cost in the erection, including the purchase of land, £3428. 1s. 3d. [Manchester Guardian 16 May 1835 page 7, Reprinted in Preston Chronicle 23 May 1835 page 3]
Reference Manchester Guardian 16 May 1835 page 7. Reprinted in Preston Chronicle 23 May 1835 page 3 - opening
Reference "History of Ashton-under-Lyne and the Surrounding District,” compiled by William Glover. Edited by John Andrew.