All Saints, Bury Lane, Warrington Road, Glazebury,
BURY-LANE LANCASHIRE - A new church has been erected here at a point adjacent to the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, not far from where the diocese of Chester joins that of Manchester. It has been consecrated as "The Church of All Saints, Bury-Lane, having a district attached to it. The foundation stone was laid on 19 June last. The cost of the building, including incidentals is estimated as ,1250. The material is stone; the style of architecture florid decorated; and the plan comprises a nave with centre aisle, a south porch, a bell-turret at the west end, containing two bells, and a vestry at the north-east side. Internally that part of the continuation of the nave set apart for the communion table, is separated from the rest by a low screen of wood tracery, forming a kind of chancel. The length of the nave is 70 feet inside, the breadth 27 feet 4 inches; the exterior height 18 feet to the eaves, and from thence to the ridge of the roof, which is of high pitch, is 24 feet 2 inches. There are three large windows on each side, a window of three lights at the east end, and a smaller one at the west end, all finished with ornamental and characteristic tracery. The accommodation is calculated for 300 persons and 170 of the seats are free. The seats are open, the entrances being finished with ornamental bench ends, capped by poppy-head finials. The roof is of open timber, stained. The floor is laid with black and red tiles. There is an area of ground encircling the building for a burial ground. The architect is Mr E H Shellard, of Manchester. [Builder 10 April 1852 Page 263]
Reference Manchester Guardian 5 April 1851 page 11 - contracts
Reference Manchester Guardian 12 April 1851. Page 11
Reference The Builder 10 April 1852 page 263.