Alterations: Hilston House, Green Walk, Bowdon
An entry in Historic England’s Pastscape describes Hilston House as a detached Italianate villa of the 1870's or early 1880's, altered in 1902 by Clegg and Son, who installed a staircase, and in 1929 by [Frank] Dunkerley and [Isaac] Taylor. It was converted into flats in 1994 after a period as a retirement home. No details have yet been found of the nature and extent of Dunkerley and Taylor’s alterations. The owner of the house in 1929 was Herbert William Lee, a cotton spinner related to the Lees of Tootal Broadhurst Lee. He was at various times chairman of the Fine Cotton Spinners and Doublers Association, president of the Manchester Chamber of Commerce, and president of the Federation of British Industries.[Richard Fletcher]
Reference Historic England Pastscape.