Altrincham County High School for Girls, Bowdon Lodge, Altrincham
ALTRINCHAM COUNTY SCHOOL OPENED. - The new Cheshire High School for Girls at Altrincham, which is to begin its work in September. was formally opened yesterday by his Honour Judge J. K. Bradbury, the chairman of the Board of Governors. The building of the school is part of the declared policy of the Cheshire Education Committee to put a good school within the reach of every child in the county. The school itself stands on the highest, part of Bowdon Downs, and joins to this advantage those of a specious, wooded, and open site. It has been designed with a successful effect to fit into its surroundings, and it is at the same time an excellent piece of technical architecture. The total accommodation is now for 186 children, 36 of whom will be taken into the preparatory department, but it will admit of expansion to another 50 or 60 in the future. The formal ceremony of the presentation of key by Mr J Cubbon, the architect, and the unlocking of the door by Judge Bradbury. [Manchester Guardian 5 July 1910 page 7].
Reference Builder 16 January 1909 Page 72 - contracts
Reference Builder 27 March 1909 Page 390 - tenders
Reference British Architect 2 April 1909 Page ix – tenders
Reference Manchester Guardian 9 October 1909 page 4 – contract for electric lighting
Reference Manchester Guardian 5 July 1910 page 7 – opening
Reference British Architect 15 July 1910 Page 35 - opening of school