Anson Chapel St James Birch-in-Rushome
The church was built in 1845-6 on the site of the 16th century Birch Chapel, and the architect was John Macduff Derick. In 1907, Sir William Reynell Anson of Birch Hall commissioned Isaac Taylor to design the Anson Chapel on the south side of the church. Taylor was a warden at the church and lived close by on Birch Grove.
The Bishop of Manchester last night dedicated the Anson Chapel, which has been added to St James’s Church, Birch, Rusholme. The chapel has been built by Sir William Anson in memory of his mother, Lady Anson. [Manchester Guardian 12 October 1907 page 8]
Reference Manchester Guardian 12 October 1907
Reference: J S Buckley, The History of Birch-in-Rusholme, 1910