Antley Wesleyan Chapel, Blackburn Road, Accrington
On 5th inst the corner stone of a new Wesleyan Chapel, at Antley, was laid in the presence of a large number of visitors. The chapel is designed in the Italian style of architecture, and is arranged to accommodate 600 persons. The front has a central portico, the whole height of the building, with semi-circular arches. The ashlar is from Burnley and the coarse stone from local quarries. The interior has a gallery with semi-circular ends; the orchestra is formed in an arched recess over the minister’s vestry. The following persons are the contractors for the work: Mr William Ramsbottom for the masonry; Mr J Riley, carpentry and joinery; Mr E Wilkinson, slating; Mr W Balshaw, plumbing and glazing; Messrs J Cronkshaw and Son, plastering; and Mr S Foster, painting. The cost will be about ,2,400. The architect is Mr William Waddington of Burnley. [The Architect 19 March 1870 page 144]
Chapel sited at the junction of Blackburn Road and Wesley Street Accrington. Now demolished and replaced with a new Methodist church on the same site. The 1892 OS map indicates a Boys’ and Girls, School on Wesley Street (also demolished) and Infants’ School in addition to the chapel.
Reference The Architect. Volume III 19 March 1870 page 144