Appleby Lodge Wilmslow Road Rusholme
Appleby Lodge was Manchester’s original modern apartment development. The 100 luxury serviced apartments were designed by architects Gunton & Gunton in association with Peter Cummings for Town and Country Consolidated Properties, and built by Moston Brick and Building Company between 1936-39. The streamlined modernist design and use of innovative building materials were married to the concerns of inter-war health and hygiene reformers. All flats were planned to give the maximum amount of sunshine, and amenities included constant hot and cold water, central heating in addition to the fire place, fitted kitchens ensuring maximum cleanliness. They also had two indoor toilets for flats with two bedrooms (at a time when most terraced houses in Manchester still had outside water closets). A free tennis court for use by the tenants promoted the healthy lifestyle - as did the solarium, sun deck and roof garden included in the prospectus but never built. Set back from the road and laid out in attractive gardens overlooking Platt Fields Park, Appleby Lodge was marketed to the middle classes as a modern oasis within a short tram ride of urban Manchester
In 1939 the flats were being advertised as: “Overlooking Platt Fields Park, with private gardens, tennis courts and garages in the grounds. Adjacent to main tram and bus routes. Two miles from the city centre. Rents included rates, central heating, constant hot water, uniformed porters, etc.” [Manchester City News 6 August 1938 Page 6]
Appleby Lodge was built on the site of the proposed Brighton Grove scheme of the 1840s. See T W Atkinson.
Reference Manchester Guardian 18 March 1939 page 3 – show flats open
Reference Manchester City News 6 August 1938 Page 6