Atherton Technical School
The new technical school was designed by the architects' practice Banks, Fairclough and Stephen of Leigh and opened in 1893. It accommodated 250 students and was erected on land forming part of the local board store yard, adjoining the board's original offices (later replaced by the present town hall of 1900); the cost was around £2,800. The school had a hall, laboratory, chemical theatre, and class room, with a male lavatory on the ground floor. The laboratory had accommodation for twelve day and twelve evening students, with fume cupboards and work benches. The lecture theatre had a gallery with seating for 70 students, a lecturer's table, a pneumatic trough, foul air shaft, gas and water fittings, sliding blackboards, fume closets, diagram screens, and cupboards. On the first floor was a drawing room, a ladies' lavatory, and an engineering drawing room.
Reference Leigh Chronicle October 1893