Building Name

Baptist Church Cornwall Street Higher Openshaw

Cornwall Street
Higher Openshaw, Manchester
GMCA, England
New Build
Closed 1971 Demolished
John Tinline, of Bury

On Saturday afternoon the foundation stones were unveiled of a new Baptist Church which is being erected in Cornwall Street, Higher Openshaw. The new church will have seating accommodation for 312 people. The total cost, including lecture hall, will be about £1,900. [Manchester Guardian 23 October 1905 page 4]

In the notice of the building of the new Baptist Church at Openshaw the name of Councilor T Cook, the architect of the church, who unveiled one of the memorial stones, was inadvertently omitted. [Manchester Guardian 24 October 1905 page 8]

HIGHER OPENSHAW - Foundation-stones of a new Baptist chapel to be situate at the junction of Cornwall-street and Whitworth-street were laid on Saturday. The edifice will have accommodation for 312 people. The nave is 40ft. by 37 ft., the chancel 26ft. by 14ft., minister's vestry 13ft. by 8ft., with separate entrance; organ chamber and gallery 41 ft. by 11 ft. The gallery, reached by a flight of steps, seats 98 people. The somewhat limited area of the site has prevented the body of the church from being any other but square in form. A lecture-hall adjoining the church will eventually be proceeded with. Externally the building is being carried out in Accrington best facing bricks. Monks Park stone from the Bath stone quarries is being used as dressings. The roof will be covered with Velinheli slates, and the interior joinery is to be executed in pitch-pine, and afterwards varnished. The style adopted is a free treatment of Early English Gothic. The work is being executed from the designs and under the superintendence of Messrs. T. Cook and Sons, architects, Victoria Buildings, Manchester. The general contractor is Mr. John Tinline, of Bury, Lancs. [Building News 3 November 1905 page 612]

Reference    Manchester Guardian 23 October 1905 page 4
Reference    Manchester Guardian 24 October 1905 page 8
Reference    Building News 3 November 1905 page 612