Capitol (Plaza) Cinema Swinton
Arrangements have been made to alter the Swinton Public Hall and Palais de Danse into a super-cinema, the “Capitol” to hold 1,750. The architects are Messrs Drury and Gomersall, architects and surveyors, Imperial Buildings, Oxford Street (sic) Manchester. [Builder 12 April 1929 page 701]
Reference Builder 12 April 1929 page 701
In 1929 the Swinton Picture Theatre, Station Road, Swinton, was in the ownership of The Public Hall and Picture Theatre Limited and accommodated some 849 patrons. The proposal to double its capacity and turn it into a super-cinema to the designs of Drury and Gomersall was not progressed and by 1933 the original building was in the hands of the J F Emery Circuit.