Building Name

Church of St. George, Whit Lane, Charlestown, Pendleton, Salford

1856 - 1858
Whit Lane
Charlestown, Salford
GMCA, England
New build
Demolished except tower and spire

CONSECRATION OF ST GEORGE'S CHURCH, PENDLETON - The new church of St George, Charlestown, Pendleton was consecrated on Saturday afternoon by the Lord Bishop of Manchester. The Rev H M Harmer, the incumbents has, for four years, conducted services in a building erected as a school and the licence for that building is now, of course, revoked. The new church is in the decorated Gothic style, and has been erected from the designs of Mr E H Shellard, architect of this city, the contractors being Messrs Statham & Son. The building is 71 feet 6 inches long and 41 feet 6 inches wide; it consists of nave and chancel, with south aisle, there being an ornamental bell-cote at the west end; and the intention is hereafter to erect a north aisle and tower and spire - contingencies dependent upon the securing of funds, and the practical carrying out of which has been prepared for by the architect. The chancel is 27 feet long and the corresponding length of the south aisle is occupied by the vestry and organ chamber, the latter being surrounded by a neat iron railing and curtains. The roofs are open-timbered, stained in imitation of old English oak; and the height to the ridge in the chancel and nave is 45 feet clear, that of the south aisle being 35 feet or 36 feet. Between the nave and aisle there runs a light arcade of five pointed arches: the east end of the chancel is occupied by a good and large window of five lights, with effective tracery; and the side windows are of two lights each. The entrance is through a porch on the south side and the exterior is of Yorkshire pierre-point stone, with Peel stone dressings. The total cost of the building has been about ,3,800, the cost having been increased by the additional depth to which a north slope on the site rendered it necessary to carry the foundations. The site was given by Mr J P Fitzgerald and so far no debt has been incurred. ... The foundation stone was laid about eleven months since by the Rev A. Lane, rector of St Thomas's Pendleton. The church will accommodate 449 persons; but only 140 of the seats are reserved, 309 being perfectly free. (Report continues with details of consecration service). [ Manchester Guardian Monday 4 October 1858 Page 2 Column 5]

PENDLETON - The Bishop of Manchester consecrated the new church dedicated to St. St George, situated in Whit-lane, Charlestown, Pendleton  The edifice is built of stone, in the decorated style of Gothic architecture, and consists of a nave and chancel, with an aisle on the south side, and is covered with coupled roofs of a high pitch. The nave or highest roof is finished with a temporary wooden bell-cot. This end of the church has been partially filled up with brick- work, in the place of a tower arch, it being contemplated to erect a tower and spire at a future time. The south side of the body of the church contains four windows, with stone pillar or mullion up the centre, dividing each window into two lights or openings, and having the upper part pointed and filled in with stone tracing of a flowing but simple character. The east end of the edifice consists of two gables, the chancel one being filled by a large window divided into five openings by means of mullions, the upper part being ornamented with stone tracery work. The north side of the church has windows similar to those on the south. The nave part of this side is executed in brickwork, with stone pillars and arches over them, built in the wall, it being in- tended to erect an additional aisle eventually, to correspond with the opposite one. Internally, the nave is separated from the aisle by five sharp- pointed archways on short octagonal stone pillars. The roofs of the nave and aisle are formed of arched ribs over the centre of each pillar and arch; those to the chancel and porch of the ordinary timbers or rafters tied and framed together. The whole of these roofs show the construction of the woodwork, and are stained of dark colour, in imitation of old oak: externally, they are slated. The pews and fittings up throughout are of a simple kind, and are stained similarly to the roofs. The floors of the aisles, where not pewed, are paved with red and black tiles, laid diamond-wise. Accommodation has been provided for 499 adults upon the ground-floor, the greater part free. The church being built upon the side of a hill, and the foundations having been obliged to be carried to a considerable depth, have considerably added to the cost of the building. It is heated by hot air, by Messrs. Haden, of Trowbridge. Mr. E. H. Shellard is the architect; and Messrs. Statham are the contractors. The body of the church is 71 feet 6 inches long, by 40 feet 6 inches wide, and 45 feet from the floor to the ridge. The chancel is 27 feet long. The church is built of Yorkshire parpoints with Peel stone dressings. The cost has been £3,800. [Builder 30 October 1858 page 730]


Reference    Manchester Courier 2 May 1857 page 6 - contracts
Reference    Manchester Courier 25 April 1857 page 6 - contracts
Reference    Manchester Guardian 25 April 1857 page 7 – contracts
Reference    The Builder 30 October 1858: page 730.
Reference    Manchester Guardian Monday 4 October 1858 Page 2 Column 5 – consecration