Church of St Hilda Old Trafford
In the later years of the nineteenth century there had been an intermittent movement to provide additional church accommodation in Old Trafford. The scheme for St Hilda's was finally progressed by the building of schools in 1896; The Parish was formed in October 1899, entirely out of St Matthew's, Stretford. Initially, services were held in the Hullard Park School, Stretford Road, but after a campaign to raise the £8000 required, the church, to the designs of F.P. Oakley, was built in 1903-4. A brick church, mostly grey, with bands of red Ruabon bricks, and terra-cotta, and a timber roof. Accommodation for 467, with the capacity for extension to 650 was provided. Consecrated on 20 April 1904 the church was demolished following bomb damage during the Second World War.
Reference Manchester Diocesan Magazine, (1904), 110-12.
Reference RIBA Drawings Collection. Old Trafford (Greater Manchester): Church of Saint Hilda, design & contract drawings, 1902 [PB123/6(1 5)]
Reference ICBS 10391 Grant: Approved