Church of St. Mark, Stockport Road East, Bredbury Stockport
ST. MARK’S CHURCH, BREDBURY, NEAR STOCKPORT. On Wednesday, the interesting ceremony of laying the foundation stone of an intended new church at Bredbury to be called Mark's Church, took place. The site selected is on an eligible plot of ground situated between Butterhouse Green and Redhouse Lane, parallel with the turnpike road from Stockport. With the burial ground, it occupies an area of a statute acre, and is the gift of John Sidebotham, Esq., Kingston, near Hyde. The population of Bredburv and the neighbourhood-, is stated at between 5,000 and 6,000, having doubled itself since the year 1811.
The church is designed in the early English style of architecture, and consists of a nave, north and south aisles, chancel, and tower, the dimensions of which are as follow, viz.: Nave, 62 feet 3 inches by 22 feet 10 inches; aisles, each 63 feet 2inches by 12 feet 2 inches; and chancel, I6 feet by 15 feet. The aisle windows will have two lights each, and be adorned with small pillars, which will add greatly to the appearance of the sacred edifice. There will also be handsome buttresses between the windows, terminated with pedimental heads—those at the angles will also have octagonal pinnacles and spires. The chancel will be lighted by window of three lights at the eastern end, over which will be a wheel window, and on the sides windows of two lights. The pillars to support the roofs are to be of polished Halifax stone, clustered with small shafts, from which will rise neat moulded arches, extending from east to west. All the roofs are to be open timber work, stained imitation of oak, as are also the whole of the seats, which are to be made with massive ornamental ends, like those in many of our old parish churches. Accommodation will be provided for 862 persons, inclusive of 412 sittings, which will be wholly free. The church will terminate the long street of the village, and from its western boundary, and being erected on triangular shaped piece of land, will be in arrangement not unlike St. Peter's Church, at Ashton -under-Lyne. The architect of St. Mark's is Mr. Shellard, of Manchester, who also supplied the designs for the new church at Blackley, some years since, which understand this is to be an exact copy. [Manchester Courier 9 October 1847 page 3]
Reference Manchester Guardian Saturday 29 May 1847 Page 2 – contracts
Reference Manchester Courier 29 May 1847 page 4 – contracts
Reference Manchester Courier 5 June 1847 page 1 – contracts
Reference Manchester Courier 12 June 1847 page 1 – contracts
Reference Manchester Courier 9 October 1847 page 3 - foundation