Building Name

Church of St. Mary, Church Street, Droylsden

1845 - 1848
Church Street
Droylsden, Tameside
GMCA, England
New build
Graded II
Coulthurst and Froggatt

CONSECRATION OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY, DROYLSDEN - This church was built at the joint expense of the commissioners for building churches, the incorporated society for building churches and chapels, and the Chester Diocesan Society, aided by subscriptions from individuals. Until now there never was a church at either Droylsden or the adjoining place, Fairfield.  The new parish of Droylsden, which includes the neat little village of Fairfield (a Moravian settlement), contains a population of nearly 6,000, scattered over an area about two miles long and 1.5 miles broad, the bulk of it lying near the church, in the vicinity of the mills. The new church stands in the midst of the village of Droylsden, on a large plot of land contiguous to the turnpike road, which was the gift of Mr Hoare, banker, of London. It is in the Early English style of Gothic architecture. It consists of a nave, 76 feet 8 inches by 22 feet 3 inches; north and south aisles, 74 feet by 10 feet 6 inches; a spacious chancel, 37 feet 6 inches by 18 feet; with a vestry on the north side, and a handsome porch abutting against the south side of the south aisle. The nave is divided from the aisles by two rows of handsome polished clustered shafts, with carved capitals and moulded arches, supporting a lofty clerestory. The west end of the nave is surmounted by a beautiful bell-turret; the eastern end and chancel are terminated with floriated crosses. The church is lighted by means of couplet windows in the aisles, with lancets at each end; and the chancel by three lancets on the south side and two on the north, with an enriched triplet window at the east end. The western front of the church, which is striking and impressive, consists of a handsomely enriched door in the centre compartment, surmounted by a couplet window, enclosed in an arc h, over which is a small ventilating light in the gable. Above the gable is the turret. The roofs are framed in open timber-work, after the ancient style, with a boarded ceiling stained in imitation of old oak. Accommodation has been gained for 741 persons, including 541 free sittings, by open seats, also framed in the olden style, and stained in imitation of oak. The pulpit is approached from the vestry by means of a staircase in the north wall of the chancel. It is executed in white Roach Abbey stone, and stands at the north-east angle of the nave. The reading desk, which is a very elaborate one, stands at the south-east angle. The architect is Mr E H Shellard of this city. Messrs Heyworth, of Todmorden, are the contractors for the stonework, and Messrs Coulthurst and Froggatt of Cheetham Hill, for the remainder of the building, which it is estimated will cost upwards of £3,500. [Manchester Guardian 16 February 1848 page 6]

Reference    Manchester Guardian Saturday 2 May 1846 Page 11  - contracts
Reference    Manchester Courier Saturday 29 August 1846 page 6 – foundation
Reference    Manchester Guardian 16 February 1848 page 6 - consecration