Completion Church of St Bride.
On Saturday afternoon St Bride’s Church, Brooks’s Bar, was re-opened. The church, which belongs to St Margaret’s parish, Whalley Range, was built five years ago to meet the requirements of the rapidly expanding district of Brooks’s Bar. The extensions just made, consisting of a tower, and a chancel with transepts, are in accordance with the original plans of the architects (Messrs Pennington and Bridgen) and will cost between £3,000 and £4,000. The tower and spire are not yet finished but the internal work has been nearly completed. .... The church is in the form of a Latin cross with an apsidal chancel and a tower and spire rising to a height of 160 feet from the ground at the crossing of the nave, chancel and transepts. The nave is 90 feet long, 28 feet wide and the aisles 11 feet 6 inches internally, the ridge of the roof being 56 feet from the floor line. All the main arches internally are of Bath stone, with columns alternately circular and octagonal of red Lymm stone, the bases being of Bath (stone). The roofs are open framed and boarded of red deal, while the seating is of pitch pine, French polished. A low wall of Bath stone, arcaded and designed to form an architectural composition with the stone pulpit, divides the nave from the chancel. The style of architecture is early French. The spire is covered with slates. The completion of the work has been satisfactorily carried out by Mr William Brown of Salford. The masonry was executed by Mr W B Kendall, Rochdale Road. [Manchester Guardian 16 June 1884 page 6]