Building Name

Congregational School-Chapel West Liverpool Street Pendleton

Date
1874
District/Town
Pendleton, Salford
County/Country
GMCA, England
Architect
Work
New Build
Contractor
T. Parry Builder Cheetham

MANCHESTER - Congregational School-Chapel, Pendleton — Saturday week was the last day of a bazaar got up in aid of the building fund for the Congregational School-Chapel just completed in West Liverpool-street, Pendleton. The building is situated midway between Cross Lane and the New Reservoir now being erected by the Salford Corporation, and in centre of a rapidly-increasing neighbourhood. It is in the Early English style of architecture. The walls are faced externally with white end bricks, set in black mortar, and relieved with bands of blue and red stock bricks and Yorkshire stone dressings ; internally the walls are surrounded with a varnished wood dado to height of window bottoms, above which they are plastered and lined as ashlar. The front elevation shows the boys' entrance porch and principal gable, with large five-light traceried window and gothic-shaped louver ventilator above. The side elevations are divided into six bays by neat buttresses, one bay on each side being arranged as a porch; the rest have coupled lancet windows between the buttresses. The back gable is pierced with windows for lighting the minister or superintendent's room, which is about 12 feet by 10 feet, class room 10 feet by 10 feet, infants' room over 22 feet by 10 feet by 15 feet high. The lecture hall measures 50 feet by 30 feet by 22 feet high to centre of waggon headed ceiling. The roof is divided into 4 bays, open timbered to two-thirds of the rise; the principals spring from moulded stone caps on neat stock brick pilasters. The internal woodwork is of yellow pine, stained and varnished ; the windows are filled in with Cathedral glass of agreeable tints ; the gas brackets and pendants are from the works of Messrs Thomason and Company, Deansgate, Manchester, and Birmingham. A very effective hot-water apparatus has been fixed by Messrs Henson and Co., of Pendleton; the pipes for heating the lecture hall are enclosed in brick chambers and covered with neat gridding. Ventilation is effected by conduits arranged underneath the floor, which admit the cold air into the pipe chambers through small swivel doors, worked by bell wires and brass thumb-levers, fixed on dado behind the speakers' platform, and openings in the ceiling over each gas pendant allow the vitiated air to escape through a ventilating turret, which forms the principal feature on the roof. Three porches are arranged for boys, girls, and infants, and the requisite accommodation is provided in separate yards. The building, which has been erected by Mr. T. Parry, Builder, Cheetham, from designs by Mr Owen Edwards, Architect, 34, Deansgate, Manchester, and Broad-street, Pendleton, will not exceed £1,000, and is a fair specimen of what can be procured at a small cost, suitable for first efforts in collecting a congregation, and useful for educational purposes when a chapel is erected. [British Architect 13 March 1874 page 172]

Reference           British Architect 13 March 1874 Page 172