Building Name

Congrgational Chapel Bayswater

1853 - 1854
Bayswater, London
English Congregational Chapel Building Society
New Build

CONGREGATIONAL CHAPELS - In March last, a society was formed, entitled " the English Congregational Chapel‑Building Society," for the purpose of erecting 50 chapels in various parts of England, in five years. Various architects who had had experience in chapel‑building were invited to send in designs for m(+lei chapels, and out of about eighteen received, the committee have selected five as most in accordance with their views. The designs selected were by the following architects: - One set of Gothic and one set of classic designs, with several elevations adapted to the same plans, by Mr. Andrew Trimen, of London; one set of Gothic designs, by Messrs. Foster and Wood, of Bristol; one set of Italian designs, by Messrs. Bidlake and Lovatt, of Wolverhampton; and one set of Italian designs, by Mr. T. Oliver, jun., of Sunderland. The committee have also commenced the erection of a chapel in Queen's‑square, Brighton, of which Messrs Joseph James and Raffles Brown are the architects. The whole of the chapels are to be erected by voluntary contributions, and there are several donors of £1000 each. The treasurers are Messrs. Joshua Wilson, Arthur Morley, and Rice Hopkins; and the secretary is the Rev. J. C. Gallaway, A.M. A similar society was formed in London, five years ago, and it has aided in providing sixteen chapels in the metropolis. It is now erecting two large chapels, the one at Craven‑hill, Bayswater, of which Mr. Trimen is architect; and another at Blackheath. The Lancashire Congregational Chapel‑Building Society is engaged to aid in supplying twenty chapels; and there are several liberal contributors to its funds, including Mr. Hadfield, M.P., £5000: Mr. Kershaw, M.P.; Mr. Barnes, M.P.; and other gentlemen, £1000. each, [The Civil Engineer and Architect’s Journal 1854 Page 117]

Reference    The Builder 3 Dec 1853
Reference    The Civil Engineer and Architect’s Journal 1854 Page 117 and 234
Reference    Civil Engineer and Architects Journal 1855 page 281 with engraving