Decorations: Greek Church of the Annunciation Higher Broughton Salford
Clegg and Knowles, were selected by competition and they produced a pure classical design with Corinthian pilasters and an impressive Corinthian portico at the west end. The exterior is mostly original but the interior was partially destroyed in 1962 when the barrel vaulting to the nave roof and internal Corinthian columns were removed.
However, the decorative scheme by J. D. Crace survives within the polygonal apse at the east end with geometrical stencilling in red, black and gold and marbled pilasters with gilded capitals.* Internal fittings include a wooden iconostasis inset with panel paintings dating from 1863 and the pulpit, delicately carved in marble and alabaster, of 1919.
* A date of 1911 is sometimes given for this decorative scheme but must be inaccurate.