Electric Tramcar Works Westinghouse Road/ First Avenue Trafford Park
The British Electric Car Company, St Swithin’s Lane (London) has purchased a five acre site near the Ship Canal in Manchester. Works capable of making 120 tram cars at a time have been commenced. Mr Charles Heathcote, Manchester, is the architect. [Building News 15 February 1901 Page 226]
ELECTRIC TRAMCAR WORKS, MANCHESTER — About five acres of land have been purchased in Trafford Park, Manchester, adjacent to the Ship Canal and the Railway Systems, by the British Electric Car Company, of St. Swithin’s Lane, London. The works, which are capable of turning out 120 tramway cars at a time, have been designed by Mr Charles Heathcote, architect, Manchester, and have been commenced. [Builder 9 February 1901 Page 143]
Reference Builder 9 February 1901 Page 143
Reference Building News 15 February 1901 Page 226
Between 1902 and 1904 the British Electric Car Company Ltd made tramcars at their factory on the corner of Westinghouse Road and First Avenue Trafford Park. Its 4-wheeled single-truck double-deck open top cars were sold to some thirty towns in the United Kingdom including Salford, Motherwell. The Manchester Ship Canal enabled it to export to Egypt, New Zealand (Wellington) and South America (Buenos Aires). So successful was the firm that it was bought out by the rival United Electric Car Company of Preston, and promptly wound up. The factory was later leased by the fledgling Ford Motor Company (England) Ltd, to build the first Fords made outside America. Trafford Park had access to America, bringing in component parts by way of the Ship Canal, and it was right by a railhead from which it could send completed cars.