E.R. Langworthy Warehouse 12 Charlotte Street (including 17 George Street)
Probably the most elegant of the commercial buildings in Charlotte Street, with facades completely of stone, the warehouse was constructed for E R Langworthy. The building occupies a long narrow site and is no more than one room wide. The main entrance is on the narrow frontage to Charlotte Street while in George Street there is an elaborate loading bay.
LISTING TEXT - Home trade warehouse, now ... offices? Probably c.1870. Sandstone ashlar (roof not visible). Narrow plan on corner site, but with rear inner corner interlocking with No.14 to left, with loading bay at rear end of side. Simple classical style. Basement and 5 storeys, with a narrow 2 bay facade to Charlotte Street and a long 8 bay facade to George Street; rusticated punch dressed basement, channelled ground floor with cornice, simple broad pilasters and string courses to the upper floors, and prominent bracketed cornice (all carried round). The ground floor has a square headed doorway to the left, with carved surround, a sashed window to the right with a large scrolled keystone; the upper floors have sashed windows, those 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors with keyed segmental heads, and over each top floor window a simple Lombard frieze. The right hand side wall (to George Street) matches the front, except at the end of the ground floor where there is a rectangular loading bay entrance. Interior not inspected. Forms part of a group of 5 similar buildings on this side of the street, Nos.14 and 16 adjoining on the left.
Langworthy Brothers and Company, merchants, cotton spinners, manufacturers, dyers, bleachers and printers. 12 Charlotte Street. Works, Greengate Mills, Sandywell, Salford. [Slater 1876]
Reference Builder 16 March 1872 page 201 - list of works by Edward Walters.