Extension of “The Empress” Cinema Higher Road Urmston
Originally opened as a silent film theatre about 1929 with 900 seats The decor consisted of flats and cut‑outs erected on each side of the screen which depicted Italian scenes, taking away the plainness of the auditorium. There was no plaster ceiling, just the roof trusses showing. In 1934 it was altered and enlarged in Art Deco style by Drury & Gomersall. A balcony was added as was a new proscenium, 35 feet wide. It re‑opened as the Empress Cinema on 5th August 1935 with 1,228 seats. It was taken over by Union Cinemas on 29 June 1936 and by the ABC Group in October 1937. Closed 11 October 1958. Demolished 1962. Site occupied by Kwik-Save 1998.
Reference Builder 16 February 1934 Page 311
Reference Builder Volume 147 30 November 1934 Page 955 - New Cinemas
Reference Builder Volume 147 21 December 1934 Page 1090 - New Cinemas
Reference Cinemas of Trafford
Reference The Picture House Page 42 (Internal illustrations)