Grand Cinema 180 Lord Street Southport
Originally built in 1923 as a garage and car showroom, it was converted into a luxury cinema in 1938 by George E Tonge in an Art Deco style. The Grand Cinema opened on 14th November 1938 The cinema was designed for and operated by an independent operator throughout its cinematic life. Seating for 1650 was provided in a stadium plan with a sloping floor at the front (known as the Pit stalls and stepped floor at the rear which was known as the Royal stalls and Grand stalls. An unusual feature was the provision of a balconette which was attached to each sidewall. Seating was provised in pairs all along towards the proscenium. There were decorative grilles each side of the proscenium opening which contained the organ pipes of the Compton 3-Manual organ which had an illuminated console on a lift, in the centre of the orchestra pit. The organ was opened by Herbert A. Dowson. In the ceiling was a large shallow dowm which had a central Art Deco style light fixture. There was a cafe provided for patrons.
The Grand Cinema closed on 2nd July 1966 when it was converted into a bingo club. It now operates as the Stanley Grand Casino.