Heaton Moor War Memorial,
First World War memorial unveiled in 1921. Bronze statue of a standing soldier in battle dress and helmet with a rifle. It was designed by the noted Manchester sculptor John Cassidy who undertook to ensure that the same design was not reused in the locality. Portland stone plinth with bronze panels attached to the faces recording the names of the dead. That on the north east side has a relief at the base showing a battle scene with soldiers in a trench. That on the south west side is a late C20 replacement. The front of the plinth has a carved inscription: THE MEN OF HEATON CHAPEL AND HEATON MOOR WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 1919. On the rear: THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. The plinth stands in a semi-circular space with low curving walls of ashlar. Planned seating was not undertaken for financial reasons. The setting was designed by J H. Sellers.
Reference Manchester Guardian 25 November 1920 page 14 - Exhibition by John Cassidy