“Holehird” Patterdale Road Troutbeck Cumbria
In 1854 John Rowson Lingard of St Mary’s Clyffe, Alderley Edge (qv), purchased a Lakeland farm for £3250, comprising of the farmhouse, outbuildings and 39 acres of land for £3,250. Here he again commissioned J S Crowther to design a small country retreat. Holehird probably had no more than three bedrooms with a formal drawing room and hallway with three Gothic alcoves. Ground floor ceilings had elaborately decorated plaster-work, the roof ridges have heavy decorated barge boards and the gable end finials pierce the skyline. A second stage of construction quickly followed although this was aligned at right angles to the original building. This part provided a dining room and a small square sunroom at each level, no doubt intended to admire the view.Lingard then set about increasing the size of the estate by purchasing nearby parcels of land, and by creating a lodge and formal gateway from the Patterdale Road. John Rowson Lingard died on 24 September 1876 (London Gazette). In 1835 he had married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas … of Marple (she died 1875).