Knott Mill Independent Chapel 378 Deansgate Knott Mill
Knott Mill Congregational Chapel was erected in 1853, with accommodation for 1,000 people. The church was formed the following year, and the Rev. J. L. Poore, on revisiting Hope Chapel, Salford, in 1858, called Knott Mill one of his "pets," which was prospering, the school having 700 scholars in attendance. The first and only pastor was the Rev. John Rawlinson. He was sent to the Blackburn Academy to be educated for the ministry from the Cannon Street Church, Preston, being transferred to the Lancashire College on the removal of the Academy to Manchester. His first settlement was at Stainland, in Yorkshire, whence he removed to Cheltenham. In 1854 he accepted the charge of the infant church at Knott Mill. After a long and faithful ministry, Mr. Rawlinson resigned in 1887, retiring also from active service. He is still resident in Manchester. As in many other cases, the character of the neighbourhood had so changed during the forty years of the church's existence, that it became evident it would be impossible to continue it on the old lines after Mr. Rawlinson's retirement. [The Rev. B. Nightingale, Lancashire Nonconformity: 1890 page 198]
Former Congregational Chapel, subsequently auctioneer's premises. 1858, by Edward Walters; altered. Red brick (part of facade now painted blue), slate roofs. Italianate style. Gable to road. Nave and aisles which incorporate porches at the front ends, with tall square tower rising from south aisle behind porch, all over a basement storey (probably originally the schoolroom). The gabled east front has a 3-bay pedimented centre with pilasters, coupled round-headed windows at the lower level and tall round-headed recessed windows above, with carved imposts and glazing with coloured margin panes, a saw-tooth band above the windows, and bracketed cornice to the pediment which contains a crude wheel window. The flanking porches have round-headed doorways with elaborate moulded surrounds including panelled pilasters with carved capitals, and round-headed panelled double doors with glazed top panels; and panels above the doors with oculi in wreath surrounds. Campanile tower with pilasters making 2 very tall blank arches in each side, a prominent cornice, square belfry of stone with coupled round-headed openings, and short slated spire with lucarnes, the roof swept over the eaves. South side has 5 round-headed windows on each floor, all with margin panes and the upper with stone surrounds to the heads, and a clerestory window of 3 small stepped round-headed lights. Interior not inspected. Listing NGR: SJ8333097528
Reference The Builder 1858:97.