Manchester Jews School Derby Street Cheetham
On Friday Mr. Edward Nathan, president of the Manchester Jaws' Schools, laid the foundation stone of a new school in Derby street, Cheetham Hill. The building will be erected from the designs of Mr E Salomons, architect, by Messrs Cochran, Parker and Company and is intended for the accommodation of 700 children. [Building News 23 October 1868 p724]
The inauguration of the Manchester Jews' School new building in Derby-street, Cheetham Hill Road took place on Sunday. Mr E Nathan presided and there was a large attendance. The building, which is a plain and substantial structure, consists of two large rooms, one on the ground floor and one on the first floor. The former is to be occupied by the girls and the latter by the boys. At the ends of each of the large rooms there are classrooms and accommodation for the younger portion of the scholars. The building has been erected to accommodate 600 children; but in the event of the attendance increasing, that number can be increased to 800. A committee room is situated on the upper floor. A covered playground is provided in the basement, occupying an area of 330 square yards on which is also provided a caretaker's residence. Ample accommodation is provided for lavatories and hat and cloak rooms. The entrances of the boys' girls' and infants' school rooms are quite distinct. Large playgrounds with all the appliances for gymnastic exercises are provided in the rear for boys and girls. The architect is Mr E Salomons of King-street and the builders Messrs Cochrane Parker and Company. The cost, including the price of the land has been about £7,000. [Manchester Guardian 26 October 1869 Page7 Column 1].
Reference Building News 23 October 1868 p724
Reference Manchester Guardian 26 October 1869 Page 7 Col 1- opening