Miners’ Institute, Warrington Road, Platt Bridge, Wigan
A miners’ institute is being erected at Platt Bridge at the corner of Warrington Road. The new building will be of Whithnell red facing bricks relieved with Yorkshire stone dressings. It will contain an assembly hall 53 feet long by 30 feet wide with a gallery at one end and will accommodate between 500 and 600 people. There will also be a committee room, a kitchen, bathrooms, a billiard room etc. Messrs J B and W Thornley, architects of Wigan and London have prepared the designs. The sole contractors for the works are Messrs Clough and Gaskell, Pemberton, Wigan.
Reference Builder 5 June 1909 Page 683
Reference Builder 17 July 1909 Page 77