Re-construction: Empire Theatre 40 Oldham Road Ashton‑Under‑Lyne
Also known as the Tameside Hippodrome, ABC Ashton Under Lyne, and Tameside Theatre
ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE - The Empire Theatre, Ashton-under-Lyne, has been acquired by new proprietors, Messrs G W Bell and John Hardman. A scheme of reconstruction is proposed. The capacity after reconstruction will be 1600. The large waiting room over the entrance is being converted into a restaurant café. It is proposed to close the theatre for reconstruction on July 15 and re-open on October 9. The drawings are now in course of preparation by the architects, Messrs Drury and Gomersall, Imperial Buildings Oxford Road, Manchester. [Builder 28 April 1933 Page 708]
Originally opened in 1904 as a live theatre, the Empire's auditorium was completely gutted in 1933 and redesigned in the form of the present stalls, plus single balcony, Art Deco interior. This replaced the original two balconies plus box arrangement. The exterior was left largely unchanged. The architects responsible for the new auditorium were Drury and Gomersall, the exterior and original were by J.J. Alley.
It reopened on November 4th, 1933, was taken over by Union Cinemas in 1937 and then by ABC althouhh it was not renamed ABC until 1963. It closed in April 1975 and reopened as a live theatre in May 1976 with s summer film season which lasted until 196.Steelwork Edward Wood and Company Limited, Manchester
Reference Builder 28 April 1933 Page 708
Reference Builder 21 July 1933 Page 118 - new cinemas