Reredos and Memorial Chapel: Church of St Nicholas, Newchurch, Rossendale
Dedicated in 1920 by the Rev J S Addison and built at a cost of £279 10s 0d, the chapel was created as a memorial to the 36 men of the parish killed in the 1914-1918 Great War. Designed by Isaac Taylor FRIBA, the joinery work including the oak framed altar was carried out by Messrs Lenegan of Manchester. On the reredos the painting of St Michael slaying the seven-headed dragon of the apocalypse cost a further £37 1s 6d. After the Second World War, the names of a further four men of the parish who gave their lives were recorded separately.
Reference Parish Magazine article, Ian Blair and Dorothy Chadwick