Building Name

Restoration: Church of St. Helen Tarporley

1861 - 1879
off High Street
Cheshire, England
Grade II*
R. Beckett, of Hartford

Phased restoration of church at various dates. The Manchester Guardian noted that the church was partially restored in 1865 and 1877 at a cost of £10,249 [Manchester Guardian Saturday 22 April 1893 Page 9]

TARPORLEY - The chancel of the church here, which has been for some months past undergoing extensive repairs, has been formally reopened by the bishop of the diocese. At the request of the late rector and an influential committee of the principal parishioners, designs for the restoration of the whole church were prepared two years ago by Mr. J. S. Crowther, of Manchester, architect; and it was decided to commence with the chancel and north chancel aisle (the south aisle having been restored at the expense of the Arden family). Mr R. Beckett, of Hartford, was the contractor. [Builder 17 February 1866 Page 125]

TARPORLEY - The parish church, after restoration and extension, has been re-opened for Divine Service. The architect, Mr J S Crowther of Manchester, has extended the west end of the nave and north aisle, which now form two gables, surmounted by floriated crosses, the front elevation now being in line with the old tower. The west window consists of four lights, divided by mullions and tracery, like that of the other windows in the western portion, being geometrical. The entrance, by means of a porch at the southern side, necessitated the removal of the lower part of the north and east walls of the tower. These have been replaced by two arches, through which the public enter to the south aisle and the nave Between these there is a pillar, from which a sloping buttress springs, defining the length of the old nave. While getting out the stone from the base of the tower the workmen came upon the lid of what had apparently been a child’s stone coffin, on which a cross was rudely cut. The restored portion of the building embraces the nave and aisles up to the choir, for which the old stone was re-dressed and worked up again. The eastern part, including the chancel and choir, was rebuilt some time ago. The only portions of the old church now remaining are the tower and the chapel in the north side. Of the interior it may be said that the roof is of pitch pine varnished, the seats being of the same material. The latter are all free. [Builder 19 June 1869 page 490]

Reference    Church Builder, No 5 January 1863 page 38
Reference    Manchester Guardian Saturday 4 June 1864 Page - contracts
Reference    Manchester Guardian Wed 8 June 1864  - readable
Reference    Builder 17 February 1866 Page 125 - descriptive note
Reference    Builder 19 June 1869 page 490
Reference    Manchester Guardian Saturday 22 April 1893 Page 9