Restoration: Church of St Mary Magdalene
The oldest parts of the fabric, including the south doorway, date from the 12th century. The Church was rebuilt several times, with alterations taking place in the 16th and 18th centuries, due to the prosperity of the wool trade in the area. A North aisle was added in 1738, a South aisle in 1768 and the tower added in 1782. The last major restoration, to the designs of Paley and Austin, took place in 1873-1875. Works included rebuilding the nave, restoring the chancel and adding a new aisle. They also removed the west gallery and re-seated the body of the church. Stone from St Bees was used for the external dressings, while the interior was faced with Runcorn sandstone.
Most of the stained glass was the work of Charles Kempe. In the south aisle is a window showing the figure of 'Spes' (Hope) designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones. This was originally made in the Morris & Co workshops for Christ Church, Oxford, in 1870. Several copies were also made, one of which was installed at the Home of the Good Samaritan in Redcar. When the Home was demolished, the window was transferred to Broughton in 1948.