Restoration of Chancel Kendal Parish Church
RESTORATION OF THE PARISH CHURCH OF KENDAL - In this good work the Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge, have taken the initiative, and set noble example for imitation to the parish. Plans, recommended by Messrs. Bowman and Crowther architects, Manchester, and sanctioned by the distinguished Master of the College, have been adapted, to effect thorough restoration of the chancel. These plans, at once liberal and judicious, and entailing upon the college an expenditure of not less than 1,200/., embrace new roof of elaborate design, and in harmony with the architecture of the church. This roof is to be raised to the height of the original roof, so as to bring the relative heights of the chancel and nave to better proportion, and be extended to the ancient limits of the chancel, so as to reproduce the original idea and construction of the building. The pillars of the chancel, now inclining to the east, are to be underpinned and rebuilt. The entire eastern gable of the chancel is also to be rebuilt, so as to form a striking elevation, with pinnacles and enriched battlements (the present unsightly vestry being removed), and a new window, with intricate tracery, and of noble dimensions, in harmony with the present eastern window, is to be inserted. The separation between the nave and chancel will be effected by a timber arch, boldly thrown across the central aisle, having hammer-beams and subsidiary braces, all richly moulded, and the spandrels resting on angel corbels, bearing shields and scripture mottoes, filled with rich tracery. The present seats will be replaced with stall pews, elaborately carved, and disposed with due deference to ecclesiastical propriety. . [Westmorland Gazette 3 August 1850 page 3]
THE RESTORATION OF THE PARISH CHURCH. On the 8th of this month was laid the foundation stone the 6th and last pillar of the chancel of our Parish Church, by the Rev. the Vicar. The foundation stones are blocks from Kendal Fell, about five feet square, and eighteen inches thick ; on these are pediments of Long-ridge Fell stone about four feet square and twelve or fourteen inches thick. In this last pediment (the one nearest the altar) was hewn out of the top side a chamber about seven inches by four, in which a glass bottle hermetically sealed containing the Vicar's address on the subject of restoration of the church, and list of subscriptions ; and also the following, which was neatly engrossed on a piece of vellum: " This pillar and the five others the chancel were re-built A.D. 1850 at the restoration the chancel by Trinity College, Cambridge, and the repairing of the church, etc, by public subscription." Victoria, Queen. John Graham, Bishop of Chester; William Whewell, Master of Trinity College; Francis Martin, Bursar; Joseph Watkin Barnes, Vicar; James Frederick Black, Master of Grammar School; Thomas Scarisbrick, Organist; John Washington, Clerk; Robert Monkhouse, Sexton; George Braithwaite Crewdson, Mayor. CHURCH WARDENS: William Stockdale, John Mann, Isaac Edmondson, John Taylor, Samuel Whineray, Jacob Giles James Ireland, Thomas Webster. Gerard Gandy, Edward Branthwaite, John Pickthall, Anthony Garnett. Bowman and Crowther, Architects. Taylor and Williams, Carpenters; John Armistead, Mason; Henry Risbton, Plumber; Thomas Withington, Carpenter's Foreman; John Lyon, Mason's Foreman. [Westmorland Gazette 19 October 1850 page 3]
RESTORATION OF KENDAL CHURCH - Persons desirous of Contracting for the whole, or any one of the several Works required in the RESTORATION the CHANCEL of the PARISH CHURCH, KENDAL, may see the Drawings and Specifications at the Offices the Architects, 68, George Street, Manchester, on and after the 22nd inst., and until the 29th inclusive; and from that period until the 6th May, the Drawings, etc, will lie for inspection at the Vicarage, Kendal. The Tenders, endorsed Tenders for Restoration of the Chancel of Kendal Parish Church," and addressed to "The Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge," are to be forwarded to the Offices of the Architects, as above, on or before the 11lth May. It is to be distinctly understood that the College do not pledge themselves to accept the lowest Tender. HENRY BOWMAN, JOSEPH S. CROWTHER, Architects 68 George Street, Manchester, April 10th, 1850 [Westmorland Gazette 13 April 1850 page 2]
Corresponding alterations were proposed to the body of the church A building committee … propose to re-pew the entire body of the church, mainly after a consistent plan suggested by the distinguished architects already employed by Trinity College. These seats will be of a uniform design, constructed with inclined backs, having a moulded top-rail, and carved standards: such being the seats now universally adopted, with due respect both to ancient custom and modern comfort, in churches of the present day. By this plan they will accomplish considerable additional accommodations (to the amount of at least 300 sittings), increased comfort, very great improvement architectural effect, and, above all, secure a more appropriate, a more decent, and reverential disposition the worshippers. The pulpit and reading-pew it proposed to remove to that place which they always occupy in ecclesiastical buildings (when not thrust out of the position contemplated by the original construction of the Church, by ill-advised innovation), namely, to the large octagonal pillars marking the separation of the Nave and constructional Chancel. By this alteration will be secured the greatest facilities, both for hearing and seeing, to the greatest number. Another very important point, to the attention of the Committee has been directed, is the warming of the Church. The present mode, means of iron stoves, is ineffectual, as not diffusing uniform temperature, and thereby causing draughts; unsightly to the eye, disfiguring the pillars smoke and dirt; causing continual interruption during service by the necessity replacing the fuel; and, above all, being extremely dangerous to the fabric. They propose, therefore, to warm the building hot-water pipes, laid air flues, built under the several passages and alleys, and covered on the top by ornamental iron gratings. By this means uniform temperature can be diffused throughout the whole area of the Church, which now both cold and damp; all fear of fire obviated, the same time that these flues in summer will serve for the admission of pure air, and for general ventilation all seasons.
The subordinate alterations which the Committee are prepared to recommend the interior of the Church consist of the removal of the Galleries (for the occupant, of seats iv which due provision will be made ... the area of the Church); the removal the Organ which present obstructs the noble western entrance; and the cleansing, repairing, and staining of the roofs over the nave and aisles. „.
The Plans for the Exterior of the Church embrace the restoration of the Eastern and Western Facades; the renovation of the windows where dilapidated; the restoration of the upper stage of the Tower ; and a new Porch to replace the represent hideous structure, with a Crypt beneath to contain the boiler for he heating apparatus. The accumulation of earth, rough-cast, , i about the base of the building, it is proposed to remove, so as to secure greater dryness to the interior, and show the fabric in its original elevation. The outlay to accomplish these most desirable improvements is calculated at not less than £2,500. [Westmorland Gazette 3 August 1850 page 3]
KENDAL CHURCH -TO BUILDERS. Persons willing to CONTRACT for the Work required to be done REPAIRING THE ROOF over the NAVE of the PARISH CHURCH, KENDAL, may see the Drawings and Specifications at the VICARAGE KENDAL, between the hours of 9 and 5, on and after Monday, the 30th instant, and until the 8th of January, 1851. Sealed Tenders, endorsed "Tender for Repairs of the Nave Roof, Kendal Parish Church," to be delivered free of Charge, at the Office of Mr Mann, Finkle-Street, Kendal, on or Saturday, the 11th January, 1851. The Churchwardens do not pledge themselves to adopt the lowest tender. Kendal, 26th December, 1850. [Kendal Mercury 28 December 1850 page 2]
KENDAL CHURCH RESTORATION, TO BUILDERS AND OTHERS - Persons willing to CONTRACT for the whole any one of the Several Works required to be done in REPAIRING and WARMING, and VENTILATING KENDAL PARISH CHURCH, may see the Drawings and Specifications at the office of the Architects, Messrs. Bowman and Crowther, No. 68, George Street, Manchester, between the hours 10 and 5, from the 6th until the 11th of January, 1851, and at the Vicarage, Kendal, from the 13th to the 18th the same Month. Sealed Tenders severally endorsed " Tender for Repairing Kendal Parish Church" "Tender for Heating Apparatus," and "Tender for Porch and Sleeper walls,'' to delivered, free of Charge, at the office of Mr Mann, Finkle-street, Kendal, on or by Wednesday, the 22nd of January, 1851. It is to be distinctly understood that the Restoration Committee, do not pledge themselves to accept the lowest Tender. Kendal, 26th December, 1850. [Kendal Mercury 28 December 1850 page 2]
Reference Westmorland Gazette 3 August 1850 page 3
Reference Westmorland Gazette 19 October 1850 page 3 – foundation stone
Reference Kendal Mercury 19 October 1850 page 2 – foundation stone as WG
Reference Manchester Guardian 13 April 1850 page 3
Reference Manchester Guardian 20 April 1850 page 3