St. Andrew's Free Church of Scotland Oxford Road/Grosvenor Square All Saints
Situated on Oxford Street at the corner of Grosvenor Square with the main entrance set on Oxford Road,St Andrew’s Free Church of Scotland was formed in 1843 following disruptions in the Established Church of Scotland. Some members of the Scotch Church in Dickinson Street left and began to hold services in a hired room in Chorlton Town Hall. At the same time, plans to build their own church were proceeding. The plot of land next to the Town Hall was purchased but only after it was agreed that the building line of the new church should match that of the Town Hall so as not the “materially injure” its appearance. The foundation stone was laid 25 June 1844. St Andrews closed in 1902 and was sold in 1903 to George Hardy who converted it into a furniture showroom. In 1950 the Hardy family sold the building to the Singer Sewing Machine Company Ltd who made extensive alterations. As part of the planned expansion of the higher education precinct, Manchester Corporation purchased the site in 1967. The building was demolished and, in 1973, the College of Adult Education was opened.
LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE OF ST ANDREWS FREE CHURCH, CHORLTON-UPON-MEDLOCK The ceremony of laying the foundation stone of a new place of worship, to be called St Andrew’s Free Church, about to be erected on the plot of land betwixt Oxford Road and the Chorlton-upon-Medlock Town Hall took place on Tuesday evening, in the presence of a large number of spectators. The church is intended for the accommodation of the congregation adhering to the principles of the Free Church of Scotland, and in connection with the Lancashire presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in England, and at present assembling for worship in the Town Hall, Chorlton-upon-Medlock, and is expected to be completed by about February next. It is to be built of stone in the Early English style of architecture, with an open ornamented roof inside; and the estimated cost is about £1,700. The interior dimensions are 80 feet by 48 feet; and there will be accommodation in the body of the church for a congregation of 600, and in the galleries for about 400 persons. The architect is Mr Walters of Fountain Street, and the builder is Mr John Bell. The foundation stone was laid b Mr Thomas Greig of Rose Bank, who with several gentlemen of the committee arrived upon the site about twenty minutes past six o’ clock. [Manchester Guardian 29 June 1844 page 4]
Reference Manchester Guardian 29 June 1844 page 4
Reference Driffield- Strangers Guide 1851 Page 35.
Reference Builder 16 March 1872 page 201 - list of works by Edward Walters.
Reference Brumhead & Wyke. A Walk round All Saints