St. John the Evangelist, Preston Lancashire
The church was erected between 1853 and 1855 on the old foundations. On the west wall is a large brass plate on the West wall which records the event: "This Parish Church of St. John the Evangelist. Preston, was rebuilt by public subscription in the year of our Lord MDCCCLV. John Owen Parr, MA, Vicar, William Birley, Myles Myres, Esquires. Churchwardens, Edwin Hugh Shellard, Esq., Architect."
The Faculty for the rebuilding of the Church was dated 22nd March 1853, and on March 26th Mark Froggart, who had submitted the lowest tender, was entrusted with the work. The whole building except for the lower portion of the tower was demolished, and a new high pitched church with a spire 205 feet high arose on the foundations of the old. Work was completed in a little over two years the work was complete at a cost of £9,500 raised by public subscription augmented by the proceeds (£2,237 11s 9d.) of a mammoth bazaar held in the Corn Exchange from 26th to 30th April, 1853.