Building Name

St John's Church Waterloo Road Cheetham

Date
1869 - 1871
Street
Waterloo Road
District/Town
Cheetham, Manchester
County/Country
GMCA, England
Partnership
Work
New build
Contractor
Joseph Robinson junior, of Hyde.

Built at the expense of Lewis Loyd. Massive SW tower with pyramid roof and pinnacles also with pyramid roofs. The windows are mainly lancets, which leaves much sheer wall. Three bay nave, two bay chancel chapels. Round apse with two tiers of blank arcading. The west windows are placed unusually high up. Pevsner did not consider this to be one of Paley & Austin's best, but, as theirs nearly always were, a serious, thoughtful design.

ST JOHN’S CHEETHAM - On Saturday afternoon Mr Edward Loyd laid the corner stone of the chancel of the new church of St John the Evangelist, Cheetham, which is being built and is to be endowed, at the sole cost of his brother, Mr Lewis Loyd of Monks Orchard, Surrey. ..... The new church is situated in Waterloo Road, Hightown. The cost of the site and the structure is estimated at £10,000. The architects are Messrs Paley and Austin of Lancaster, who have endeavoured to provide a massive building in the style of 13th century Gothic. The internal dimensions are 111 feet by 57 feet, and the church will accommodate about 600 persons. The nave will be divided from the aisles by rows of four piers and arches. The chancel, which has an apsidal termination, is divided by two arches, the vestry and orgam chamber being on either side. The principal entrance will be through a porch at the western end. Another doorway is provided in the tower, which rises from the western end of the south aisle. This tower will be 24 feet square and 130 feet high and is covered with a pyramidal roof. Externally the church will be built of stone; the interior will be lined with small coloured bricks; and the roof will be covered with Staffordshire tiles. The contractor for the building is Mr Joseph Robinson junior of Hyde. [Manchester Guardian 22 March 1869 Page 3]

CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHEETHAM HILL. - On Saturday afternoon the foundation stone of this new church was laid by Lieut‑Colonel Edward Loyd, of Lillesden, Hawkhurst, Kent. The building and site, it is estimated, will cost £10,000. The church will be built and endowed by Mr Lewis Loyd, Monks Orchard, Surrey, the architects being Messrs Paley and Austin, Lancaster. [Building News 26 March 1869 page 282]

MANCHESTER ‑The new church of S. John the Evangelist, Hightown, Cheetham, was consecrated on Thursday week by the Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Manchester. This church and its adjuncts, the entire cost of which is stated to be £20,000, is the munificent gift of Lewis Loyd, Esq. of Monk's Orchard, in the county of Kent. The church, which stands in a commanding position, is built of stone lined with brick, and in the Early English style. It consists of a nave, north and south aisles, chancel, and semi‑circular apse, with a tower at the south‑ east side of considerable altitude, having a low spire, with pinnacles at the angles, which, together with the main roof, are covered with tiles. The aisles are lighted with small lancet windows. There is an arcade round the chancel, and above that a series of lancet windows. The pulpit is octagonal, perforated with Gothic tracery. Accommodation is provided for 540 worshippers, 170 sittings being free. A parsonage‑house has been erected upon the site. Architects, Messrs. Paley & Austin of Lancaster. Contractors, Messrs. Robinson, of Hyde. [Building News 18 August 1871 Page 127]

Reference    Manchester Guardian Saturday 9 May 1868 Page 2 (Contracts)
Reference    Manchester Guardian 22 March 1869 Page 3- foundation stone
Reference    Building News 26 March 1869 page 282
Reference    Builder 10 April 1869 page 292 and notes
Reference    Building News 18 August 1871 Page 127