St John’s Wesleyan Church, Market Street, Hindley
Designed by William Angelo Waddington, this large church superseded an older one on Frederick Street in the town, and was opened on 19 June 1901. It is constructed of pale coursed stone with red sandstone dressings and a tall octagonal steeple. It is a Grade II listed building and the citation states that it “provides the only major architectural accent in the central part of Hindley and includes design elements of considerable originality.” Unfortunately, it also gives an incorrect date of 1890-1 and William Waddington and Son as the architects. A report of the opening ceremony in the Leigh Chronicle and Weekly District Advertiser of 21 June 1901 gives the correct information. [RF]
Reference Manchester Guardian 6 August 1898 (Contracts)
Reference Leigh Chronicle and Weekly District Advertiser 21 June 1901
Reference Historic England List Entry Number: 1084312
Image Wikimedia Commons. Copyright David Dixon, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
Information Richard Fletcher