St Mary : St Mary's Street Preston
Church. 1836-8, by John Latham, with transepts and chancel added 1852-3 by E.H. Shellard.
ST. MARY’S' CHURCH is undergoing enlargement in a similar manner to Christ Church, by the addition of transepts at the eastern end, and a short chancel, in order to obtain Increased accommodation for 400 sittings upon the ground floor. The plans for the alteration of the church are provided by the same architect, Mr. Shellard, of Manchester. The additions are carried out in the Norman style of architecture, in correspondence with the original structure, but aiming at greater truthfulness of detail consistent with extreme simplicity. The transepts externally are flanked at each angle with pinnacles, and the gable ends pierced by two narrow circular-headed windows. The chancel, which is square, is lower than the nave, and the gable end contains three narrow semi-circular-headed windows. On the south side the vestry is placed. Internally the chancel, which is 22 feet wide by 20 feet 6 inches long, is separated from the nave by a semi-circular archway, shafted and enriched. The ceiling is waggon-headed in form, and the floor raised two steps. The transepts, which are 23 feet 3 inches wide, are divided from the nave by semi-circular archways, moulded and enriched. The roofs are open-timbered, exposed to view, and stained of a dark colour. The new pewing corresponds with the old pews in every respect. A new pulpit and desk of enriched character are placed one on each side of the chancel arch. [Preston Chronicle 9 October 1852 page 4]
Reference Manchester Courier 16 October 1852 page 7
Reference Preston Chronicle 9 October 1852 page 4
Reference Pevsner : Lancashire: North