Building Name

St Mary's Church Droylsden

Droylsden, Tameside
GMCA, England

DROYLSDEN - After extensive alterations St Mary’s Church has recently been again opened for divine service. The south entrance has been closed, and the porch converted into a baptistry, and laid with encaustic tiles. Two new entrances have been made at the west end of the north and south aisles respectively. The seats under the gallery have been brought forward, thus doing away with the passage which led across he church from the south entrance. The old reading desk has been removed, and the seats allotted to the female teachers and select class in the Sunday school extended. The capitals of the columns and other stonework which had been left uncarved, have been carved, and the whole of the church re-lighted by coronae, manufactured by Messrs Hart, Son, Peard and Company, of London. The chancel has been tiled with Minton’s encaustic tiles, and re-seated, and the whole building re-coloured and cleaned. The entire cost of the works will be about £800. They were done under the superintendence of Mr G J Redmayne, Manchester, architect. [Builder 22 January 1870 Page 73]

Reference           Builder 22 January 1870 Page 73