St. Matthew Grenville Street Edgeley Stockport.
West tower with broach spire with late 13th century details. The church closely follows Enerby Church in Lincolnshire, the spire of which was illustrated in Churches of the Middle Ages. St Matthew Stockport: precedent for later work - 'a reshaping of medieval models to meet the needs of the 19th century.' Tall steeply pointed roof, quatrefoil oculi in the clerestory, a device for preventing the clerestory from becoming disproportionately high while retaining the light cf. Scott at Bromborough, Pugin at St John Kirkham. In St Matthew the chancel is clearly distinct from the rest of the church- tall windows, no aisles, 'a showplace for tracery.' Crowther's model was the late 13 century tracery of Temple Balsall, Tintern Abbey and St Etheldreda's Holborn. The more highly finished, time-consuming to design and costly to produce, the more proper and beautiful.
TO BUILDERS – Persons willing to CONTRACT for the whole or any portion of the several WORKS required to be done in the ERECTING the CHURCH of ST MATTHEW, at Edgeley, near Stockport, may see the drawings and specifications at the offices of the architect, Mr CROWTHER, 68 George Street, Manchester on and after 2nd August next. Sealed tenders to be delivered to the architect on or by the 12th August; and it is to be distinctly understood that the committee do not pledge themselves to accept the lowest tender. 68 George Street, 22 July 1854. [Manchester Guardian 22 July 1854 page 11]
EDGELEY - A new church, dedicated to St. Matthew, has been consecrated in the populous district of Brinksway. The land, about an acre, was given by Mr Robert Gee, of Holly Wood. The building is of stone. There is to be a tower and spire 155 feet high. The nave is pewed with open seats. There is accommodation for 600 persons, one half free. The cost has been about £4,000. The design of the edifice was furnished by Mr. J. S. Crowther, of Manchester, architect. The style is Transitional Geometric, the windows containing fully developed tracery, each member of the tracery springing out of the soffits of each other. The plan of the church consists of a nave, with north and south aisles, and fully developed chancel. Messrs. Longs builders, were the contractors for the work, except the masonry, that having been taken by Mr. Haywood, of Alderley. [Builder 29 May 1858 Page 379]
Reference Manchester Guardian 22 July 1854 page 11 - contracts
Reference Manchester Guardian 29 July 1854 page 11 - contracts
Reference Manchester Guardian Saturday 22 May 1858 Page 4 Column 4 - consecration
Reference Builder 29 May 1858 Page 379