The Dominion Cinema Ordsall Lane Salford
A new super-cinema capable of seating 2000 people was opened in Salford this week by Mr Hampson junior. ... The cinema, the Dominion, is at the junction of Ordsall Lane and Regent Road, close to the Regent bridge. It is notable for its novel decorative scheme in the modern French style. Messrs Drury and Gomersall (Manchester) are the architects. [Manchester City News 6 December 1930. Page 12]
The cinema was built on the site of the former Smith & Coventry's Engineering Works which had closed with the loss of 500 jobs. The cinema opened on 3 December 1930 with seating for 1500. It was designed also for use as a theatre, with five dressing rooms. The massing of the building had much in common with the design for the Fallowfield cinema, but with minimal decoration. The auditorium was set parallel to Ordsall Lane and was of brickwork, relieved with blind arcades. The main entrance was situated at the extreme left of the main street elevation. By 1947, the cinema was owned by the J.F. Emery film circuit who installed a Western Electric sound system and new seating. In 1949 the cinema was sold to the Essoldo Circuit Ltd and renamed The Essoldo. The cinema closed on 18 February 1968. It re-opened in April 1968 as the Windsor Bingo and Social Club and so it remained until its demolition in 1978.
Reference Manchester City News 6 December 1930. Page 12