The Grosvenor Cinema, Union Street, Oldham
The Grosvenor Super Cinema was opened on 7th August 1920 by Picture House (Oldham) Ltd. The proscenium was 27 feet wide. In September 1929 it was equipped with a Western Electric (WE) sound system and showed the first ‘talkie’ in Oldham “The Singing Fool” starring Al Jolson. It was then operated by the Ogden Circuit, based in Manchester. The Grosvenor Super Cinema was closed in November 1963, and was converted into a bingo club. It later became a nightclub known as the Cat’s Whisker Club, and then Eddies Place. This closed in 1984, and the building was demolished a year later to build the office block known as Tweedale House which now stands on the site.