The New Adelphi Picture House, Market Place, Swinton
Although not listed in the 1914 Year Book, The Royal Picture Palace, a 150-seat cinema, was certainly operating in Manchester Road, Swinton by 1916 and seemingly changed its name to the Adelphi after the First World War.
In the early 1920s this small early cinema was replaced by the far grander New Adelphi Picture House. Built to the designs of Drury and Gomersall, the new cinema opened on 15th December 1923 with about 1,000 seats in stalls and balcony, and a proscenium 28 feet wide. Around 1929 it was equipped with a Western Electric (WE) sound system and re-named the Adelphi Cinema. Originally operated by Swinton Entertainments it became part of the J F Emery Circuit in 1931. It was taken over by the Essoldo chain in 1947 and re-named Essoldo in 1949. The cinema closed on 3 October 1970 and subsequently demolished.
Reference Before and after illustrations The Picture House Page 33