Two Scarlet Fever Wards and Two Typhoid Wards, Astley Sanatorium
In 1893 the Leigh Local Board purchased the Astley Hall (Damhouse) Estate with the intention of turning the site into a sanatorium for infectious diseases. The late Elizabethan manor house was turned into the administration block and ward blocks were built in the grounds around it. Just over a century later the sanatorium, which had become a general hospital in 1948 was closed and the buildings demolished.
Reference Manchester Guardian Saturday 13 June 1896 Page 10 (Contracts)
Reference Manchester Guardian Saturday 6 June Page 10 (Contracts)